Windows Analytics: Update Compliance
Update Compliance is a solution for OMS, providing a powerful set of tools that enable organizations to monitor and track all important aspects of the new servicing strategy from Microsoft: Windows as a Service. Together with the Upgrade Readiness Solution it is also part of Windows Analytics, which can be used for free in a OMS Workspace.
Update Compliance uses the Windows telemetry that is part of all Windows 10 devices. It collects system data including update installation progress, Windows Update for Business (WUfB) configuration data, Windows Defender Antivirus data, and other update-specific information, and then sends this data privately to a secure cloud to be stored for analysis and usage within the solution.+
Update Compliance provides the following:
- Dedicated drill-downs for devices that might need attention
- An inventory of devices, including the version of Windows they are running and their update status
- The ability to track protection and threat status for Windows Defender Antivirus-enabled devices
- An overview of WUfB deferral configurations (Windows 10 Anniversary Update  and later)
- Powerful built-in log analytics to create useful custom queries
- Cloud-connected access utilizing Windows 10 telemetry means no need for new complex, customized infrastructure
See the following topics in this guide for detailed information about configuring and using the Update Compliance solution:
- Get started with Update Compliance: How to add Update Compliance to your environment.
- Using Update Compliance: How to begin using Update Compliance.
The Update Compliance architecture and data flow is summarized by the following five-step process:
(1) User computers send telemetry data to a secure Microsoft data center using the Microsoft Data Management Service.
(2) Telemetry data is analyzed by the Update Compliance Data Service.
(3) Telemetry data is pushed from the Update Compliance Data Service to your OMS workspace.
(4) Telemetry data is available in the Update Compliance solution.
(5) You are able to monitor and troubleshoot Windows updates and Windows Defender AV in your environment.
These steps are illustrated in following diagram:
Simple steps to get started:
- Enable the solution from the solution gallery
- Grab your Commercial ID
- Deploy Commercial ID to your Windows 10 Clients per GPO/MDM
- GPO – Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Data Collection and Preview Builds > Configure the Commercial ID
- MDM – Provider/ProviderID/CommercialID
- Wait 24-48 hours to get the results
The solution is still in preview, but it has been there for a while and i expect it to get GA soon.
Enjoy this solution and happy OMSsing…